The COVID-19 pandemic did not prove to be a barrier to excellence in this year’s submissions to the Asia Young Designer 2020 (AYDA2020) competition. If anything, it may have even helped the students in coming up with innovative and empathic designs.
The theme for this year is FORWARD: HUMAN-CENTRED DESIGN. It reflects the need for designers to provide practical and socially-conscious design solutions for a rapidly growing population in a globalized world. It encourages our students to create designs that transcend beauty – designs that also respond and empathize with the needs of the humans the spaces are being designed for.
More than 400 entries were received this year and so many designs were so inspiring that our judges had such difficulty trimming them down. After reviewing all the boards and design statements and much discussion, they were able to choose the top 10 in Architecture and Interior Design.
AYDA2020 Panel of Judges
Every year, notables in the Architecture and Interior Design industry are brought together to assess the works of our talented students and to award the prize and internship opportunities. Here are our judges for AYDA2020:
- Ar. Leo Pariñas, President & CEO of LPPA Design Group (Head Judge)
- Ar. Boon Che Wee, Director at GRA Architects Malaysia
- Ar. Ana Mangalino-Ling, Partner & Associate at JSLA Architects
- Ar. Nina Bailon-Arce, Partner at Arce-Bailon-Arce Architects
- Ar. Ma. Benita Regala, Department Manager at Housing Technology Development Office National Housing Authority
- Ar. Eduardo Casares, UAP Chairman Committee on Commissions
- Ar. Renato Heray, UAP National President and Owner of RAH Architecture and Landscape Corporation
- Ar. Richard Garcia, Vice President of Visionarch
In Interior Design:
- IDr. Cara Marcelo, Founder of CMM Interior Design and Consultancy (Head Judge)
- IDr. Chat Fores, Founder of Chat Fores Design Studio
- IDr. Fendarie Su, Founder of Santa Fe Interior Architecture SDH BHD
- IDr. Cynthia Almario, founder of Atelier Almario
- IDr. Ivy Almario, founders of Atelier Almario
- IDr. Michael Pizarro, Founder of Michael Pizarro Interior Design
Architecture Top 10
Each of the top 10 in Architecture came from different schools. They are:
AYDA2020 is the first time for the following schools to enter the top 10:
- Mapua University
- Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- University of Baguio
Interior Design Top 10
Three schools were represented in the top 10 of Interior Design.
From De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
From the University of San Carlos – Cebu
From the University of Santo Tomas, Manila
Each of the top 10 finalists immediately wins a cash prize of ₱10,000 plus opportunities for internship. On top of that, recipients of special awards and major awards receive additional prizes.
|Gold Award||₱50,000, internship opportunities, and will also represent the Philippines in the upcoming regional competition where he or she has the chance of winning the Platinum Award and be declared the Asia Young Designer of the Year.|
|Silver Award||₱30,000 plus internship opportunities.|
|Best Green Innovation Award||₱10,000|
|Best Colour Choice Award||₱10,000|
|People’s Choice Award||₱5,000|
|Best Mentor Award||₱10,000|
|Best Supporting College/University||₱10,000 plus paint vouchers worth ₱10,000|
|Best College/University||₱10,000 plus paint vouchers worth ₱10,000|
The Award for Best Colour Choice was given to:
Best Green Innovation Award winners are:
The People’s Choice Award is garnered from votes made by their supporters on the Nippon Paint Facebook Page. The winners of this award are:
The Best Supporting College/University goes to the school of a finalist who has sent in the most entries to the competition. In both Architecture and Interior Design this award was given to De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde.
The Silver Award is given to the finalist who placed second in their category. They are:
The Gold Award is given to the finalist who placed first in their category. They are:
Paul John Jandoc and Margaret Therese Hagad will represent the Philippines at the upcoming regional competition where they have the chance to win the Platinum Award and get declared the Asia Young Designer Award for the Year!
The Best College/University goes to the school of the Gold Award winner. At the same time, the Best Mentor Award goes to the mentor of the Gold Award winner. They are Ar. Tim-Paul Villanueva of the University of Baguio in Architecture and IDr. Karol Ann Antonio of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde in Interior Design
Congratulations to all the winners! You make us all proud.
For more information about the Asia Young Designer Award, visit the website at https://www.youngdesigneraward.ph/ and the social media accounts as follows:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nipponpaintaydaph
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nipponpaintaydaphl/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/aydaph