This recipe first appeared on the Sweet K – All Things Yummy Community page. Watch out for new recipes here and on the Community page.
- 2 c chicken stock/broth (500 ml)
- 1 c water (250 ml)
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cms ginger, finely grated
- 1 lemongrass, white part grated
- 2 bird eye chilis, finely chopped
- 1/2 c laksa paste (175 g)
- 400 g coconut milk (14 oz. can)
- 2 tsp fish sauce (sub soy)
Noodles + Toppings
- 100 g Hokkien noodles or egg noodles (not instant noodles) (3.5 oz)
- 80 g bean sprouts or Baguio petchay (2.5 oz.)
- 80 g tofu puffs, cut in half (2.5 oz.)
Laksa Chili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce, light or all-purpose
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp laksa paste
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce, or other chili sauce
- 1 tbsp chili paste from a jar, or more Sriracha
- 1 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander/cilantro (recommended)
- Lime wedges (recommended)
- Crispy fried shallots, optional
- Finely sliced red chili, optional
- Place Chicken Stock ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to simmer, then reduce to medium-high.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until chicken flesh is falling off the bone and liquid reduces by about 1/3.
- Discard skin, pull the flesh off the bone and place in a bowl, discard bone. Set broth aside.
Laksa Chili Sauce
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or small pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic and ginger, sauté for 20 seconds, then add lemongrass and chillis. Cook for 1 minute. Add seafood and set aside a few shrimps once cooked that’s for garnishing.
- Add laksa paste. Turn heat up to medium and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and 2 tsp of Laksa Chilli Sauce. Place lid on and simmer on for 10 minutes.
- Adjust to taste using lime juice (for sour) and fish sauce (for saltiness). Add tofu puffs. Leave on turned off the stove with the lid on for 5 minutes.
Assemble the Laksa
- Divide noodles between 2 bowls. Top with shredded chicken.
- Pour broth over chicken. Top with beansprouts. Sprinkle with Garnishes you choose to use. Serve with laksa chili sauce on the side.